Monday, October 6, 2008

Do Unto Others...

I'm always amazed at how life's journey brings new friends my way. I started reading as many "adoption blogs" as I could find when Andy and I were told we might not be able to have a biological child. Now that I am pregnant I have met some great ladies who are also expecting through this crazy world of blogging. Some of the people who write those blogs have become amazing influences and inspirations for me over the past year. I would like to introduce you all to one in particular - her name is Steffany.

Steffany and her husband recently adopted twins from Ethiopia. Her journey to bring her children home and get them healthy is an amazing story that I think everyone could benefit from reading - but it is not the real reason I want you to know about her. While she was in Ethiopia she met a woman named Gadese. Gadese is an ex-Olympic athlete who was hit by a car and can no longer run. She and her husband lost their first baby when she was 8 months pregnant and developed pre-eclampsia. They are now expecting their 2nd baby and they were terrified about losing it as well. Steffany and her family (with the help of another family) decided to bring Gadese back to the United States for the remainder of her pregnancy to make sure that she had good healthcare and to give her baby the best start possible. Talk about an amazing family!

Here is a little something that Steffany has to say about Gadese: "She is such a strong and courageous woman. I am learning so much from her. Imagine flying across the world with someone you don't know, who doesn't speak your language. Leaving your family, country, the man you love for a chance to give life to your unborn baby. Imagine the strength of her husband to ask a stranger in a different country that speaks a different language to take your wife home for the chance to give life to your unborn baby. Now imagine being the one blessed enough to call this couple your family."

I can't image losing a baby - especially at 8 months. I can't imagine the things that Gadese and her family struggle with on a day to day basis. I am so lucky to have the life that I do. Gadese is due to give birth soon and she will be returning to Ethiopia with her baby so that her family can be reunited. She and her husband not only take care of her sisters but they also have two "adopted" children they took in whose parents died of AIDS. They don't have much and they struggle to survive. With Steffany's permission - I have decided to collect whatever useful items I can for Gadese to take back to Ethiopia with her. If you have any clothing or baby items that you are no longer using and would like to send them to me to include in the care package please let me know. Steffany has said that anything and everything can help.

If you would like read about Gadese and Steffany (and see pictures of their beautiful families) you can go to http://toliveloveandlaughtoday.blogspot.com/.

If you would like to email me for information on where you can mail items - I'm at kamisparks@yahoo.com

1 comments:

Jeni said...

That's a pretty amazing story. I can't begin to imagine the heartache of losing a child. I hope her newest is happy and healthy!